Embedded Systems Jobs Board
Job Openings for Embedded Systems Engineers
Amazon — a place where builders can build. We hire the world’s brightest minds and offer them an environment in which they can invent and innovate to improve the experience for our customers. We want people who will help share and shape our mission to be Earth’s most customer-centric company. Amazon’s evolution and success is driven by the spirit of invention that’s part of our DNA. We do this daily by solving complex technical and business problems with ingenuity and simplicity.
We are seeking an exceptional Firmware Software Engineer professional to work as a member of our firmware team. If you’re passionate about safety and performance and have an interest in robotics systems, then we’d like to talk to you about becoming part of an organization with global impact on millions of customers. At Amazon Robotics, we invent things that have never been done before. The firmware team is a comprised of super-smart doers who work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and to solve real-world challenges. We are seeking a highly motivated individual to help to deliver and maintain the most successful robotic fleet in the world. If you love to delight customers and want to make a difference every day, then join us in making history!
Role and Responsibilities
- Participate as an active member of the firmware team, developing and maintaining the firmware base of our robotic fleet and safety systems
- Learn and master multiple components with the firmware environment, potentially including areas such as cameras, WiFi, security, navigation, sensors, and more
- Work with and lead teams of high caliber developers on critical products
- Demonstrate best engineering practices, documentation, and ownership
- You MUST have a strong desire to up-skill and self-develop
The ideal candidate is a top-notch embedded developer, passionate about building things and delivering solutions, and enjoys solving problems in innovative ways. As a part of the firmware development team, you will work on robotic control and safety systems to deliver features to enhance and maintain the most critical components of Amazon’s Fulfillment solution. In addition to working on new products and ideas, you must have a strong desire to find issues and have the bias for action to drive the solution of these issues.
The ideal candidate has broad and deep technical knowledge and will have a background complete with strong software design and general implementation experience as well as a deep understanding in some specialty areas such as image processing, wireless, networking. In this position, these skills will be applied to help to ensure that our robotic platforms and safety systems are designed and implemented to the highest standards and built to be resilient. This position will provide you with an opportunity to work across development teams to design to build solutions and critical products at massive scale.
The following statements could be applied to describe your current work experience and breadth/depth of knowledge:
- You have a high level of technical skills required by your role and area of specialty: software development, network engineering, systems engineering, embedded development, or better still, a combination of all
- You possess, utilize, and teach best practices in embedded engineering and have a strong sense of making continuous improvements
- You have a capacity and tolerance for extreme context switching and interruptions while remaining productive and able to deliver to commitments
- You love solving problems and participate in efforts to promote improvements to overall quality and customer experience, providing effective guidance and leadership
- You help teams develop pragmatic solutions that achieve business requirements balanced against an acceptable level of risk
- BA/BS/MS/PhD in computer science or computer engineering or related discipline
- 3+ years of development experience, ideally within an embedded environment or with some aspect of robotic systems. Experience must include direct, hands-on experience designing, developing, and debugging production quality products
- Familiar with building solutions that scale
- Has a mature understanding for how product development occurs, including being able to make complex business/risk trade-off recommendations and decisions
- In-depth knowledge of Linux tools and architecture, and highly familiar with the C and Python languages
- Excellent written communication skills, with a focus on clarity and translating technically complex issues into simple, easy to understand concepts
- Hands-on knowledge of developing a product to be certified to the 61508 industrial safety standards or some other similar standards such as medical, automotive, or avionic
- Technical knowledge in at least one system of: wireless, networking, or electro-mechanical control systems
- Experience with RTOS and delivering products in a tightly resource constrained environment
- Experience in generating automated metrics to measure quality and/or product effectiveness and consistency
- Excellent leadership, teamwork and collaboration skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Results-oriented, high energy, and self-motivated
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.