Embedded Systems Jobs Board
Job Openings for Embedded Systems Engineers
We are seeking a device software engineer to be our boots on the ground chartered with preparing the hardware in our smart panel for market. Our system is made up of a complex network of microcontrollers and a single board computer that must work cohesively to deliver impeccable reliability and a seamless user experience. As the third engineer focused on device software, you will work up and down this stack from debugging 8-bit micros to writing system software for embedded Linux. You will collaborate with product owners and partner engineering teams to define and implement new features and you will be responsible for solidifying requirements into concrete tasks with measurable results. The team is small so you will be at the helm of owning big features and driving them to completion.
In this role you will:
- Design integrated software systems
- Write software for microcontrollers in both bare metal and RTOS (FreeRTOS) environments
- Write system software on embedded Linux
- Collaborate with our Electrical Engineers to specify, bring up and troubleshoot new PCBAs
- Work with product owners to specify, estimate, break down, and author new features
As we are a startup, this list should be considered neither exhaustive nor complete. We are excited for people to explore responsibilities outside their normal areas of expertise if the need or interest arises.
- Plumb new sensor data from our device up to the backend
- Evaluate, choose, and integrate an OTA solution into our Linux system images, then ensure that it’s absolutely reliable
- Design the setup workflow to allow solar installers to configure device parameters via Bluetooth or WiFi
- Add the pub/sub messaging pattern to our on-device message bus
We are seeking a seasoned Firmware/Embedded Linux engineer with demonstrable knowledge and experience:
- Writing any combination of system software or firmware in a production environment with multiple years of experience under their belt.
- Working with modern software development processes like unit testing and continuous integration, even in an embedded context.
- Working with microcontrollers in hardware devices, including using traditional debug interfaces (SWD, JTAG) and lab equipment like oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and multimeters.
- Familiarity with embedded Linux systems
- Strong familiarity with C
- Familiarity with a higher level language like Python/C++/Java/Rust/etc and Object Oriented design
- High reliability embedded systems
- Cellular connectivity in an embedded environment
- Other wireless technologies like Bluetooth and Zigbee
Life at Span
Span is a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Working at Span, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation at a well-funded, venture-backed company
- Comprehensive benefits including a choice of medical plans; dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- A sunny, airy office located close to BART and Caltrain public transit
- Regular team lunches, brown bag learning opportunities, board games nights, and other opportunities to connect with teammates - in-person and now virtually
- Equity grants at a quickly-growing startup
- Flexible hours and vacation time - we simultaneously work hard and make space for the important stuff
- To be a part of a team and culture that is hard-working, has a good sense of humor, values collaboration, and is just a little bit nerdy
Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.