Embedded Systems Jobs Board
Job Openings for Embedded Systems Engineers
This role is in BD Diabetes Care (BDDC) which is one of the most patient-connected Business Units with the company. The BDDC business unit has a 92 year history within BD and is unique in that it focuses on one important disease state which is a threat to world health. The Diabetes Care (DC) business unit is comprised of approximately 1,850 associates globally. The growth strategy includes strengthening our leadership position in diabetes drug delivery devices, entering targeted adjacencies to satisfy significant unmet needs, developing and commercializing transformation products designed to eradicate the complications associated with diabetes. The DC business unit is committed to easing the burden and making health care affordable for people living with diabetes worldwide.
Within the Diabetes Care business, you will have the opportunity to play a vital role in the development of solutions for multiple platforms (injection, infusion and digital health), make a key impact in the Diabetes Care market and be a key contributor to BD's future growth. You will also have the advantage of combining the best of both worlds; the agility and creativity of a start-up environment, and the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. We are looking for highly innovative, passionate, and talented individuals to develop these innovative products. If you're interested in being a part of developing and commercializing exciting, revolutionary products for the Diabetes Care market, and with the goal of improving the lives of people with Diabetes, please read on.
The Staff Firmware Engineer will be responsible for the design and development of embedded firmware on wearable medical devices with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connectivity to a smart phone. The ideal candidate will have a strong electrical engineering background, with demonstrated experience in board bring-up, device drivers, power management, battery technologies, wired and/or wireless communication protocols including Bluetooth Low Energy and documenting per quality system procedures and related FDA, IEC regulations.
The candidate will be deeply involved in the design and development of a broad portfolio of novel solutions for people with diabetes; this includes participating in technical design reviews, safety hazard analysis, product security assessment, user interface reviews and regulatory submission activities. The candidate will work closely with electrical engineers, usability engineers, clinical evaluation team and the software test team (unit, integration, and verification). The candidate will also work closely with the other functional disciplines including systems engineering, mechanical engineering, and operations, quality and regulatory to ensure successful implementation of intended designs.
- Design, develop, document, and test the embedded firmware for the next generation drug delivery devices following BD’s SW lifecycle process.
- Test, debug, resolve issues, and perform software integration as necessary.
- Work closely with stakeholders to gather specifications.
- Support Clinical and user studies as needed.
- Perform other job-related duties as needed.
- Assure adherence to BDDC SDLC development policies and software quality procedures
- Develop and implement software tools as needed.
- Support unit, integration, and verification test teams
- Work closely with hardware, mechanical, quality, regulatory, and manufacturing teams to conduct research, draft proposals, and design software tools to improve quality control procedures and manufacturing processes.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent (Mechanical Engineering degree with an Electrical background).
- Minimum 5+ years required, 7+ years preferred with medical device firmware development.
- Proficiency in C programming and debugging.
- Experience with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) systems.
- Experience in Microcontroller-based bare-metal software development
- Knowledge of modern best practices for professional software development including agile development, scrum, secure coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Working experience with embedded development tools and environments.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Knowledge of C++, C#, and Python
- Experience with communication protocols & stacks.
- Experience with battery powered wearable/portable devices
- Cybersecurity knowledge and experience.
- Understanding ofStandards: FDA 21 CFR Part 820 and IEC 62304
- Knowledge/experience in iOS and Android development tools and environments
- Experience with iOS and Android application development
- Experience with TFS and/or IBM Rational Tools suite, DOORS, and RTC.
- Experience with Static (Coverity) and Dynamic Tools (VectorCAST).
- Experience with JTAG, BIST, debuggers, and hands on test capabilities.
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. The company develops innovative technology, services and solutions that help advance both clinical therapy for patients and clinical process for health care providers. BD has 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care. BD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.